CHEESY CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Day 1 ingredients:
- The carcass of 1 1/2 to 2 chickens
(Tip: When I buy chicken (even if it's something like a store-bought roasted chicken) I remove the meat from the bones using a knife, and then freezing the carcass.)
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, quartered (you can leave the skin on)
- 2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper, quartered, seeds removed (Whichever color you prefer)
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- A small amount of chopped garlic (If you don't have fresh garlic, you can use a sprinkle of garlic powder)
Throw everything in a large pot, filling it with water until it covers everything well. Bring to a simmer, and cook slowly for about 4-6 hours (It's delicious, not fast!). When the bones begin to crumble when pressure is applied, take it off the heat, and check the flavor.
(Tip: Try to refrain from adding salt, since you will be adding additional ingredients the next day, so if it tastes perfect today, it might be too salty tomorrow.)
Strain everything into a bowl using a cheesecloth or a VERY clean towel, throwing all the solids out. Strain again, back into the pot, just to make sure you have everything strained out. Put the lid on the stock, and refrigerate until the next day, when everything finishes up.
Day 2 ingredients:
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, the meat removed and the bones bagged and frozen for next soup
- 1 onion, skin removed and quartered
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups of frozen cheese tortellini
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat up the stock, and add the vegetables and meat. When the carrots are fairly soft, but not quite soft enough to your liking, add the tortellini and cook until they're done. Adjust seasoning to taste, and serve!
I hope you enjoy it!
(note: If you prefer more of something, or less of something else, then by all means, adjust the recipe to your liking!)